– [Melissa] I’m crazy for birds. I’m blown away by their exquisite beauty, their diversity, their intelligence, and their close family bonds. For me there’s nothing better than capturing these magnificent creatures with my camera and sharing their beauty and complexity with others.
I’m Melissa Groo, and I’d like to invite you to join me for my course on bird photography. Drawing on my experience as a contributing photographer and writer for Audubon, Smithsonian, and National Geographic, and as a regular columnist for Outdoor Photographer magazine, I want to help you realize your goals no matter how modest or ambitious they are. From figuring out what gear to buy, to finding birds to photograph, to learning how to edit your work, I’ll share with you the best techniques for capturing the majesty of birds.
I’ll teach you how to push beyond your camera’s automatic mode so that you can realize your unique creative vision. And I’m excited to share all my tips for capturing birds in flight, one of the toughest kinds of nature photography out there. Bird photography is about so much more though, it’s also about building naturalist skills that are essential to finding and spending time with the birds that you want to photograph.
The fieldcraft techniques you’ll learn in this course will propel your bird photography to a whole new level, and inspire you to tell powerful stories with your images. I hope you’ll join me for this course; I can’t wait to share this experience with you.End of transcript
Create the Bird Photos You Dream About
Learn how to take stunning photos of birds with award-winning photographer Melissa Groo as your guide.
- Find and get close to birds responsibly
- Match your gear to your goals: cameras, lenses, tripods, and more
- Learn to optimize your camera's settings for bird photography
- Capture compelling images of birds in flight
Bird Photography with Melissa Groo
- Lessons inside: 7
- Topics inside: 37
- Completion time (estimated): 10 hours
- Instructional videos: 34
- Total instructional video time: 2.25 hours
- Level: Beginner
- Categories: Art and Technical Skills, Nature Appreciation
- Regionality: Anywhere – Non-regional
- Discussion groups to keep you learning
- Self-paced, no expiration date, 100% online
- 30-day refund guarantee
Why I Made This Course
"Bird photography can seem daunting at first—from figuring out what gear to buy, to finding birds to photograph, to mastering your settings—so I’ve designed this course to help you every step of the way. More than anything, I want to help you realize your goals when it comes to capturing stunning images of these magnificent creatures, no matter how modest or ambitious they are."
Celebrated wildlife photographer Melissa Groo leads you through more than three hours of video instruction across 30 topics. Videos are accompanied by text, image galleries, and guided practice designed to build your confidence in bird photography. Learn about cameras, lenses, tripods, blinds, and other gear. Benefit from training on how to push beyond the auto mode of your camera, composing powerful images along the way. Fieldcraft techniques covered include aligning with the sun and wind, tuning in to bird songs and behavior, and benefiting from your local birding community. Special topics include how to photograph shorebirds and birds in flight. You can choose to share your thoughts and images by joining the discussion forum.
Who This Course is For
Is this course for beginners?
Yes, we designed this course for beginning photographers. If you are just starting out, it will give you all the tools you need to build your skills. We also included content useful to more advanced photographers. If you’re already familiar with digital cameras, you are still likely to benefit from the course’s bird-specific training, designed to help you find and take photos of these small, fast-moving subjects
Can I take this course if I don’t have expensive gear?
Yes. This course is designed to help you make the best photos with the gear you already have. It also covers recommendations if you’re looking to build your gear collection.
Can I take this course if I live in the city and don’t have access to nature?
Yes! Birds are everywhere!
Meet the Course Instructor
I am a photographer with a passion for educating people about the marvels of the natural world. As a contributor to National Geographic, Smithsonian, Living Bird, and Audubon magazines, I believe that photography can be both fine art and a powerful vehicle for storytelling. It is my mission to raise awareness and change minds about not only the extrinsic beauty of animals, but also their intrinsic worth.
Take a Free Peek Inside the Course
Preview three example videos from Bird Photography with Melissa Groo.Preview Now
Understand Birds for Better Photos
- Understand and predict bird behavior
- Find birds and your birding community
- Use weather and timing cues
- Take the bird’s perspective
4 topics, 4 videos
Match Your Gear to Your Goals
- Choose a camera
- Select lenses
- Understand tripods
- Compare blinds
- Carry and protect your gear
5 topics, 7 videos
Gain an Audience with Birds
- Let birds come to you
- Attract birds
- Approach birds responsibly
- Get out and find birds
4 topics, 4 videos
Craft Great Bird Photos
- Explore elements of the classic bird portrait
- Control exposure with confidence
- Optimize your settings for bird photography
- Get your exposure right in tricky conditions
- Understand and play with light
5 topics, 5 videos
Get Creative and Tell Stories
- Push your settings and break the rules
- Spend time with individuals and tell their stories
- Feature habitat and conservation themes
3 topics, 4 videos
Capture Birds in Flight
- Understand flight behavior
- Study flight imagery and set your goals
- Prepare for the field
- Learn fieldcraft for birds in flight
4 topics, 5 videos
Curate, Edit, and Share Your Photos
- Curate your photos
- Edit your photos
- Document and archive your collection
- Explore ways to speak up for birds
- Find inspiration to keep you going
5 topics, 5 videos
This Course is Entirely Online
There’s nothing to be shipped, and no additional material is necessary. Bird Academy courses are online, self-paced, and have no deadline to complete the course. You can return to them for reference or practice as often as you want. All course material, practice tools, instructional videos, and discussion forums are available through your web browser. Learn anytime, anywhere*. Gain the skills and understanding you’re looking for.
*Requires an internet connection and a modern web browser.
Course Instructor: Melissa Groo
Course Producers: Mya Thompson, Laura Helft
Course Developers: Laura Helft, Karen Rodriguez, Kevin McGowan, Elissa Johnson, Mya Thompson
Video Producers: Shayna Muller and Karen Rodriguez
Animator: Shayna Muller
Video Editors: Shayna Muller, Eleven Lakes Media, Daniel Sheire, Christopher Sayers II
Videographer: Karen Rodriguez
Second Camera: Darcy Rose
Web Designer and Illustrator: Jeff Szuc
Copy Editor: Marla Coppolino
Production Assistants: Andrew Schmalfuss, Elissa Johnson, and Jeff Szuc
Special Thanks: Jim Verhagen, Shelley and Ron Cooper, Todd Gustafson, The Gelder Family, Ian Davies, Bobby Stickel, Stepfanie Aguillon, and Joy Pojim